What is WinPython ? | Install WinPython21st August 2018
WinPython is a free open-source portable distribution of the Python programming language for Windows 7/8/10 and scientific and educational usage.
It is a full-featured (see our Wiki) Python-based scientific environment:
- Designed for scientists, data-scientists, and education (thanks to NumPy, SciPy, Sympy, Matplotlib, Pandas, pyqtgraph, etc.):
- Runs out of the box(*) on any Windows 8+ with 2GB Ram (Jupyter Notebook will require a recent browser)
- The WinPython folder can be moved to any location (**) (local, network, USB drive) with most of the application settings
- You can install as many WinPython distributions as you want on the same machine: each one is isolated and self-consistent
- These installations can be of different versions of Python (3.5/3.6/3.7/…) and different architectures (32bit/64bit)
WinPython is something different from other Python Distributions (see historic motivation and concept):
- non-invasive: WinPython lives entirely in its own directory, without any OS installation
- customizable: add your missing packages, zip the WinPython directory and give it to your students
- do your own version: a winpython-creator kit is made available for you
All Versions are available here.
Portable or not, the choice is yours!
WinPython is a portable application, so the user should not expect any integration into Windows explorer during installation. However, the WinPython Control Panel allows to “register” your distribution to Windows (see screenshot below).
Registering your WinPython installation will:
- associate file extensions .py, .pyc and .pyo to Python interpreter
- register Python icons in Windows explorer
- add context menu entries Edit with IDLE and Edit with Spyder for .py files
- register WinPython as a standard Python distribution (standard Python Windows installers will see WinPython in Windows registry)
That is exactly what the official Python installer would do to your machine: in other words, you can have it both ways!
(*) For recent WinPython, Windows 7/8 users may have to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017
(**) For best Winpython 2018-01 experience, it is recommended to have Winpython base directory path smaller than 37 characters. example: C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Downloads\WinPython
(Any Comment related to this post or for any help/discussion please write here.)